Forklift Catches Fire Inside Route 17 Home Depot

Employees tried unsuccessfully to put the fire out before the MFD knocked down the blaze, officials said

The Mahwah Fire Department quickly extinguished a fire Monday morning that officials said could have easily spread from a forklift inside the Mahwah Home Depot's Garden Center to the many Christmas trees and firewood displays surrounding it, Mahwah Assistant Fire Chief Brad Stio said.

The forklift, which was parked in the Garden Center of the Mahwah Home Depot on Route 17 North, burst into flames and started smoking at about 6:20 a.m. Monday, Stio said. An engine from Mahwah Fire. Co. 2 knocked down the fire after a group of employees tried unsuccessfully to put it out, Stio said. Crews from Mahwah Fire Co. 1 and 3, Mahwah Ambulance Co. 1 and theMahwah Police assisted.

“They fought the fire extremely quickly,” Stio said. “The Garden Center is an inside structure with lots of Christmas trees and firewood in it, so we were very concerned that this could spread.”

Though the forklift was destroyed, nothing else was damaged, authorities said. According to Stio, the fire likely started as the result of a malfunction in the forklift, though he said Monday morning he was unsure of the exact nature of the malfunction.

No Home Depot employees were injured when they attempted to put the fire out before the MFD arrived, officials said.


Get Patched in with the Ramsey Patch newsletter. And, get updates on the Ramsey Patch Facebook and Ramsey Patch Twitter.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »